If you are pursuing a degree in math secondary education, you must meet the below requirements to be eligible for graduation. Also, you must complete the general education program, fulfill the general baccalaureate degree requirements and complete at least 125 hours of coursework.
The math education program is not comprehensive, so it requires the completion of a minor. By working with the teacher certification office at Missouri State, you will receive your teaching certificate within 12 weeks after successfully completing the education program.
To remain eligible to continue in the math education program, you must maintain a 2.75 GPA in all of your math coursework.
Bachelor of Science in Education
(Certifiable grades 9-12)
- General Education Requirements - see General Education Program and Requirements section of catalog
- Major Requirements
- MTH 261(5), 280(5), 302(3), 315(3), 345(3), 460(3), 497(1), 532(3), 533(3), 575(3)
- Select two courses from: MTH 503(3), 536(3), 540(3), 567(3)
- Courses required from related areas: CSC 121(3) or 125(4) or 131(4); PHY 123(4) or 203(5)
- Professional Education Requirements
- MTH 409(3), 410(3), 493(5-6), 494(5-6)
- Professional Education Required Core and Competencies - see Teacher Certification, Teacher Education Program and Secondary Education Requirements section of catalog
- This program also requires compliance with the Teacher Education Program requirements for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance in the Teacher Education Program; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification; as well as the requirements for Secondary Education. Refer to the Teacher Education Program section of the catalog for requirements.
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements - see General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements section of catalog
- In order to meet Missouri state teacher certification requirements, candidates for the Bachelor of Science in Education degree are required to meet the following grade point average requirements: at least a 2.75 GPA on all course work attempted at all colleges attended; at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under B; at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area; at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses which includes all courses listed under C; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses. All GPA requirements include both Missouri State and transfer grades.