If you are pursuing a degree in math secondary education, you must meet the below requirements to be eligible for graduation. Also, you must complete the general education program, fulfill the general baccalaureate degree requirements and complete at least 125 hours of coursework.
The math education program is not comprehensive, so it requires the completion of a minor. By working with the teacher certification office at Missouri State, you will receive your teaching certificate within 12 weeks after successfully completing the education program.
To remain eligible to continue in the math education program, you must maintain a 2.75 GPA in all of your math coursework.
Major requirements (44-46 hours):
- MTH 261(5), 280(5), 302(3), 315(3), 333(3), 343(3), 460(3), 532(3), 545(3), 575(3).
- One course from: MTH 503(3), 510(3), 536(3), 540(3), 567(3).
- Courses required from related areas: CSC 130(3); PHY 123(4) or 203(5). (PHY 123 or 203 may partially fulfill the Knowledge of the Natural World General Education requirement.)
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of MTH 492(2) and 494(10).
Professional Education requirements (41 hours):
Note: A grade of “C” or better in each course is required for state certification.
- Teaching methods and supervised teaching (21 hours): MTH 409(3), 410(3), 411(3), 492(2), 494(10).
- Additional Professional Education Required Core and Competencies (20 hours).
- This program also requires compliance with Teacher Education for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance
in Teacher Education; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification,
which includes following GPA requirements. All GPA requirements include both Missouri
State and transfer grades.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under major requirements.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses which includes all courses in number 1 and 2; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses.